Listen Live to what I'm listening to !!

Head Over to My Broadcast Radio Station - Monitoring HF Maritime and Other HF Utility Comms

Saturday 20 December 2014

Sydney To Hobart Yacht Race 2014 - Prerace HF Testing (Charleville.....)

G'day All,

As most of you know before each S2H race yachts must perform prerace HF radio checks outlined via Race Notice to Competitors 3. This was performed during Dec 14th - 20th 2014. The Radio checks were performed on 6516khz were the Yachts attempt to successfully reach Newcastle Marine. This occurs during daytime 8:00 til 19:00 AEDT which means I barely can hear the traffic here in Brisbane Queensland. I did record all traffic on 6516khz on Dec 14th to see if I could get anything, and I was able to hear some traffic but very faint towards end of the day.

However interestingly this year while monitoring the S2H Web Site race documentation I saw Notice to Competitors 4 requesting all yachts to perform radio checks with Charleville Radio via 6215 khz 24hr and from there they will be directed to then test 4483 and 6516 khz. This is to occur 24hrs between 19 Dec 2014 until 22 Dec 2014. I started monitoring the HF Comms since 1430 AEDT Dec 20th 2014 and around 1800 AEDT started getting some good signals.

While monitoring it was interesting to hear the frustration on Charleville's end with them encountering "severe interference" on 6516khz which has plagued me since I started covering / broadcasting the S2H Yacht Race HF Comms over the last 8 years. There is a Asian Shortwave station that broadcasts on 6518khz which is only 2khz up from the primary S2H Yacht Race Frequency and from about 1700 AEDT until 0630 AEDT the channel has significant interference which even the best notch filter etc can not remove. Yachts were not able to complete testing of the 6516 frequency with Charleville radio.

I've extracted a fair few Yacht PreRace HF Comms tests with Charleville Radio but only for 6215 khz which is good enough to let you hear them. Over the next few days I'll monitoring and extract any worth while sample and add them to the folder below:

MP3 Sample of HF Comms between Yachts Charleville Radio.

Let me know what you think via twitter @OziDrifter :)

No comments:

Brisbane QTH 2007

Brisbane QTH 2007
Heres my little Listening Post at Brisbane

Charlotte Pass August 2007

Charlotte Pass August 2007
The DEGEN 1103 in action on the ski slopes

Listening Post Thredbo

Listening Post Thredbo
Degen DE1103 and Long Wire - Thredbo Camp Site June 2007

Condamine Gorge - XMAS / NEW YEARS 2006

Condamine Gorge - XMAS / NEW YEARS 2006
Brother Robbie and I listening to the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race scheduled radio morning Check in. Those swags are very confortable.

Cold Night - Mum, Dad and Robbie at Lake St Clair on our Tassie Trip 2007

Cold Night - Mum, Dad and Robbie at Lake St Clair on our Tassie Trip 2007
It was a very cold night, but man that fire was bueatiful. Using the Sangean ATS-505 coupled with external 100ft wire for MW DXing.

New Years Eve 2005 - My Wife Tanya and I

New Years Eve 2005 - My Wife Tanya and I
You can see the FRG-7 we brought in my New Years as a Family. Starting with New Zealand / Melborne / Brisbane then lost count after that :) And it finished for me with BBC broadcast of chimes of Big Ben Clock from London.